søndag den 21. februar 2010

Day1

The trip to Aveiro at Portugal was a bit rough. When we were leaving Denmark it was snowing heavily, and we were unsure whether the plane was flying or not. The metro which we took to the Danish airport was stucked at many train stations, and we were a little bit late even though we left in good time.
We middle landed at Barcelona and took the plane to Oporto where we took the metro to Campanã to take the train to Aveiro. It was easy, but to our surprise people did not speak English, even the young generation did not speak English or did not speak it that well. More about that later…
When we arrived at Aveiro we met Thelma, our Erasmus Buddy, and we explained our situation about the offers we have made with different hotels around the university. 2000euroes for two months were too much, and could be done much cheaper so she made some calls at her home to some of her contacts. Everything was rent out to other people, we were too late.
To my defense I’ve been asking my teacher about where I would stay doing this internship, and they kept saying that they would take care of it. The last time I asked them about the situation, which was one week before the trip, they told me that they could not help me, because they apparently did not have a contact in Portugal. I then contacted the professor in Portugal which had arranged the internship with my teachers. He could not help me either, but he said that we would be contacted by an Erasmus Buddy. She contacted me one day before the trip… While everything was “taken” care of I and my friend had made some deals with different hotels around the university just in case everyone could not hold their promises… But it would have been an expensive trip if it wasn’t for Thelma. Luckily for us she was contacted 11 o’clock in the evening while we still were looking for any rentable apartment on the streets. We walked our legs off that day in search for a place to stay! We walked almost every corner of the city…
We got an apartment for 900Euros, but we only had the half on the money in cash. It was okay with the old cripple lady, and we were able to loan some sheets and blanket from her which apparently was not included in the apartment.
When we finally were alone and ready to sleep we realized what a shit hole we have rented… The toilet is loose, and you have to be careful not to fall over when you are “making business”… The warm water was not working, even though the old lady tested it in front of us and said it worked.
When we went to sleep it was getting pretty cold, seems like the temperature is dropping quite a lot in the evening. We were close to freeze to death, because none of the radiators were working…
This is of course the simple version of the worst day of my life, but I don’t want to bother you with my endless complains…

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar